For the most part, I’m very healthy, except for one big thing.
I’m not a good water drinker.
Being pregnant, it’s really important that I drink lots of water or it can make me feel nauseous. I know, I know, I have to drink even more when breastfeeding. For me, it’s a particular water glass, a straw and a lot of ice. If I have those things, I’m a little better.
When I would go to the spa, it was always easy to fill up on their “fancy” water. Although it would be wonderful to go to the spa right now, that’s just not going to happen so I’ve been making my own fancy water at home. My current favorite is this orange water. I slice up one orange, toss it into a pitcher filled with purified water and keep it in the fridge.
I make this at my apartment, my mom’s house and even at their vacation home. It gets me to drink more water and it makes me happy. Double win.
Why you should drink more:
- Helps you lose or maintain your weight. Drinking water fills you up!
- Keeps you more regular in the bathroom department
- Your body is made up of A LOT of water and will run better if you keep it hydrated. If you don’t, you’ll probably get anything from headaches, to constipation to skin problems to exhaustion.
- If you’re active, water helps keeps your joints lubricated so less likely to suffer from injury.
- Awesome skin!
- More energy
- Better workouts
- and the list goes on, but you these are the big ones that motivate me.
Tips to drink more [water]:
- Find a water bottle that works for you. This is mine and I love it.
- If you drink more out of a straw, buy a pack of straws.
- Although it’s best to drink water at room temperature, if the only way you can drink it is with TONS of ice, then drink it with tons of ice.
- Make a big pitcher of your own infusions – orange, cucumbers, lemon & lime, or berries.
- Plain decaf tea, hot or iced – peppermint, camomille, black, white, etc., but without sweeteners or milk.
Entertaining Tip - serve fancy water for your next event. It’s a nice change and your guest will [hopefully] stay hydrated while they also enjoy the cocktails.
- Pack an empty water bottle in your carry-on. Fill it up at a drinking fountain or a restaurant / coffees shop.
- When the beverage cart comes around, ask for a water AND drink of choice. Or just water.
- Keep a cooler in the back of the car filled with several water bottles.
- If a slice of orange came with your lunch, squeeze it into your water glass.
What are some of your tricks to drinking more water?
August 27 2012