I love breakfast.
so much, that I’m always trying to create an “on the go” version of all my favorites.
With all the traveling I do, breakfast is usually the hardest for me to find gluten-free options. I make these little cakes all. the. time. Traveling or not, these are great to have on hand when hunger hits.
All the ways you can enjoy these little cakes. . .
- Breakfast on the go
- Packs perfectly in lunchboxes
- Post workout recovery snack
- Set out on your Brunch table – both kid and adult friendly
Of course I pack them in mason jars. I’m obsessed, I know.
Apple Baked Oatmeal Cups
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk – or milk of choice [skim, soy, rice, etc.]
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk – you can omit, just replace with another 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 apple, pored and peeled and cut into small 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup raisins
- Optional: nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cupcake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In large bowl mix together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a separate bowl whisk together milk, coconut milk, applesauce, and egg whites.
Add wet ingredients to the oat mixture and mix until combined. Carefully fold in apple pieces and raisins.
In prepared cupcake pan, fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until tops are browned
Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Optional – enjoy warm with additional toppings [nuts, brown sugar, milk, etc.] OR pack in containers and bring to work for breakfast &/or snacks.
November 30 2011