How are those leftovers from Thanksgiving treating you?
Still feeling like you want to want to live off green juice and lettuce? Yeah me too.
After a week of vacation, drinking wine and eating amazing food, it’s time to clean out the fridge and stock up on vegetables and whole foods.
Who’s with me?
Confession. I bought the pre-cut bags of assorted vegetables from Trader Joes. Dumped the bag into the food processor. Pulsed a few times and voila!
You feel healthy just looking at this, don’t you?
Mix in the sweetness and there you go. One SUPER healthy salad.
. . . If you have a hard time eating raw vegetables, which I sometimes do, you can heat it up in a skillet. Helps break it down a bit.
Detox Shredded Vegetable Salad
[adapted from Oh She Glows]
- 1 head of cauliflower, stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large head of broccoli [or two small], stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 6-7 large carrots [or 12=15 baby carrots], shredded or chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup fresh oranges, chopped into small 1/2″ bites
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup agave nectar for added sweetness [or maple syrup if preferred]
- Optional: 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds or 1/2 cup currants
In small batches, add broccoli, cauliflower and carrots to your food processor and pulse until everything is shredded to desired consistency. Repeat until all veggies are chopped.
Place shredded veggies into a large bowl. Mix in parsley and lemon juice. Add sunflower seeds, raisins, and oranges until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Before serving, drizzle a little agave nectar over salad [1-2 tablespoons per serving].
The first time I made this salad, I added pomegranate seeds and it was delicious!
November 29 2011